August is Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month. With the start of a new school year just around the corner, now is the perfect time to schedule comprehensive eye exams for kids with a Houston eye doctor at Berkeley Eye Center.
Healthy eyes and good vision are vital to a child’s development. Undiagnosed eye problems can lead to behavioral problems and poor performance in school. In the worst cases, some eye conditions that aren’t detected and treated early can lead to permanent vision loss.
Children often aren’t able to recognize when they are having trouble seeing. The best way to make sure your child is seeing well is through a comprehensive eye exam. Here are some signs to watch out for, as well:
- Eyes not lining up
- Red-rimmed or swollen eyelids
- Watery or red eyes
- Rubbing eyes or blinking frequently
- Closing or covering one eye
- Trouble with reading or other close-up work
- Holding objects close to face
- Complaining of itchy, burning or scratchy eyes
- Feeling dizzy or nauseous after close-up work
If you notice any of these in your child, a Houston optometrist can evaluate whether an eye condition or vision problem is the cause.
Eye Safety for Kids
Even children with completely healthy eyes can suffer from vision impairment because of injuries. This month, talk with your children about the importance of eye safety and review what steps you can take to avoid injury, including:
- Make sure kids wear protective eyewear during sports and recreational activities.
- Be careful what toys your kids play with; toys should be age appropriate and not have sharp or protruding parts.
Berkeley Eye Center’s Houston eye care services include routine care for the whole family, as well as treatment of eye injuries.